Starting an online business can be challenging, particularly when identifying the most effective strategies to attract buyers and generate sales. The first step is to create a website that establishes your online presence and allows you to declare yourself as an e-business. However, the next step—promoting your platform—is often the most difficult part.
This article shares two proven ways to grow your online presence—running a business blog and creating landing pages. It also delves into the details of each approach to help you achieve great results. Keep on reading!
Attracting leads and converting them into paying customers requires constant effort. One of the primary hurdles companies face is boosting their brand awareness among potential customers. The unfamiliarity can hinder trust in the products or services offered. Blogging can effectively address this challenge; by creating informative and engaging content, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry. This trust, in turn, plays a crucial role in influencing purchasing decisions.
Blogging also serves as a potent driver of visitors. A study by HubSpot revealed that businesses that actively produce content experience a 55% increase in website traffic compared to those that do not. A company blog can help you reach a wider audience, exposing your products or services to a larger market and expanding your potential customer base.
Furthermore, blogging is a relatively inexpensive marketing strategy. While paid advertising campaigns require significant financial investment, blogging is a promotional tool that small online businesses and startups can afford.
There are a few things you can do to take your small business online:
- Create a website to showcase your offerings;
- Start a blog to engage your audience and establish your expertise;
- Optimize your website for search engines to improve search visibility;
- Connect with your target audience and promote your brand on social media;
- Sell your products or services online to reach a global audience;
- Study small business growth strategies to learn from the successes of other companies.
Although a business blog can be a catalyst for online growth, not all of them achieve the desired level of success. The product review platform FinanceOnline has identified six key factors to consider when running your business blog. They are quality content, eye-catching headlines and introductions, SEO, email subscribers, a good blog name and URL, and social media shares and follows.
Let’s explore them in more detail:
- Quality content. Creating informative, well-written, and engaging articles will provide valuable insights to your target audience and show them that you care about delivering meaningful, useful content to improve your clients’ experience.
- Eye-catching headlines and introductions. First impressions matter. Craft headlines that are clear, concise, and pique curiosity. You can also capture attention from the outset by incorporating a compelling statistic or trending topic into your intro.
- SEO. Search engine optimization helps websites increase visibility through their content. Optimize your blog posts using relevant keywords, meta descriptions, and internal linking.
- Email subscribers. Building an email list allows you to connect directly with your audience. Encourage visitors to subscribe to your email list by offering valuable incentives, such as exclusive content or discounts.
- Good blog name and URL. Your blog’s name and URL should be memorable, understandable, and relevant to your industry.
- Social media shares and follows. Social media platforms can be a powerful tool for audience acquisition. Share your blog posts across social media, engage with your followers, and participate in relevant conversations.
A landing page is a standalone web source designed to achieve a specific conversion goal. Unlike a regular website, which provides a comprehensive company overview, a landing page focuses on a narrow set of objectives and guides visitors toward a specific action, e.g., signing up for a newsletter or purchasing.
A visually pleasing and engaging landing page can help your business drive high-quality leads, considering that an average landing page conversion rate is 9.7%. But how do you create a landing page that drives leads? It should incorporate well-structured information, utilize brand-consistent graphics, and feature noticeable CTA buttons.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these elements:
- To encourage a landing page visitor to take a desired action, you can organize content according to marketing models like AIDA or PAS. AIDA focuses on capturing attention, piquing interest, generating desire, and prompting action. The PAS model highlights a problem the target audience faces, amplifies the negative emotions associated with the pain point, and then presents your product or service as the solution.
- Your landing page should use graphics consistent with your brand’s overall identity. This includes using your brand’s logo, color palette, and typography.
- The CTA buttons should be prominent and easy to find. Use strong verbs to make it clear what you want visitors to do. For example, instead of “Learn More,” use “Sign Up for Free”.
To achieve success in your online business, you must focus on understanding your target audience, delivering valuable content, optimizing it for search engines, and staying adaptable to industry trends. The latter is especially important if you want to achieve significant success. The most successful online businesses have achieved this by keeping up with trends and even staying ahead of them.
- Choose a domain name that is relevant to your business and select a reliable hosting provider. The hosting must have a robust server and be reasonably priced. For example, a good choice for landing pages is AWS. To learn how to use a specific hosting service, do a quick online search using a phrase like ‘how to create a landing page in WordPress.’
- Design your landing page. Use a clear and consistent layout, incorporate high-quality visuals, and ensure your landing page is optimized for mobile devices.
- Write your copy. Highlight the benefits of your offer and motivate visitors to take action.
- Optimize your landing page for search engines by adding relevant keywords throughout your copy and meta tags. You can use Ahrefs to find relevant keywords. Try to choose commercial intent keywords such as “buy a product/service”.
- Promote your landing page through social media and email marketing. Share it on social media platforms and include a call to action in your email campaigns to drive subscribers to your landing page.
- Track your results with analytics tools to identify what is working well and what needs improvement. An effective tool for doing this is Google Analytics.
When starting an online business, avoid neglecting market research, overlooking SEO, rushing product launches, ignoring customer feedback, underestimating social media, and failing to monitor analytics. These are the most common mistakes that newcomers to the online business world make and the ones that prevent them from being successful.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to how to grow an online business and achieve success. However, some proven methods can help you. By creating a user-friendly and informative website, establishing a captivating blog, and designing a converting landing page, companies can attract potential customers and drive conversions. Remember that building a successful online business requires a combination of targeted marketing and consistent effort. Be persistent and patient.